Sunday, December 28, 2008

Christmas 2008: The Pregnancy Time Machine

If it weren't for my giant belly, I would have thought that I had been thrust back into the Groundhog Days of the first trimester this Christmas day. Luckily we had no plans and had our family get togethers on the days around Christmas, because I was feeling like complete and total ass. I was barfy and slept all day save three hours, when I ate, peed, and tried to scan pictures but broke out into a sweat and had to lay down so I wouldn't pass out.

Other than the sickness we had a fantastic holiday. Cupcake got some really cute gifts. I followed my gestational diabetes diet for the most part - I did eat mashed potatoes, stuffing, and a few cookies at the dinner we hosted. It is a lot harder to not eat those sorts of things when you actually make them!

Speaking of the 'beetus, I will find out on Tuesday if I have to take medication to control it. I'm guessing the answer will be YES YOU NEED MORE SHOTS, BIOTCH. My OB said they like to see 90% the readings within the desired range, and I'm at about 75% and that is with eating very little carbs. I clearly need more help than just the diet. I have been following the guidelines religiously and still getting high readings. It's frustrating.

My mom took a few maternity pics for me, since I couldn't justify spending money on them. Here is my favorite - we hung it in the nursery until we get our first family picture:



I can't believe we have less than two months to go. I still have so many things to do. I have yet to find daycare or a pediatrician. I have baby showers the next two Saturdays, so I will have lots of things to put away and set up after that. And I would like to be done with work at the end of January.

Mostly, I can't even believe we made it this far. Also, I can't believe that this child will double its weight by the time it's all over, and that she won't burst out of my stomach as if shot from a t-shirt gun.

21 comments:

B's Mom said...

Love the pic!

Meghan said...

My morning sickness came back the last month or so. I really hope that isn't the case for you. It was pretty horrible to be puking each morning with a basketball in my stomach

Love the pic!!

Aunt Becky said...

ACK. 2 months? ACK. I have so very much to do, too!

Heather Rodriguez said...

Cute belly! You are almost done!

Paula Keller said...

That's a really sweet photo! I love the sepia tone and the pose.

It seems like just yesterday that you found out you were pregnant! It's been fun to follow your blog through this.

Feel better. :)

Elle Charlie said...

What a great shot your mom took - that's beautiful!

momofonefornow said...

Shot from a T-Shirt gun? You are too funny for words!

The photo is awesome!

Shanny said...

Awww, the picture is beautiful! Your mom is talented =)

Good luck with 'beetus :-/

C said...

What a cute pic:-)

Dawn0fTime said...

Wow, that's a beautiful pic!

Sarah said...

You are gorgeous. That picture is beautiful.

Julia said...

Great picture! Looks professional to me.

Emily said...

You look amazing!!! Sorry you have been barfy.

Anonymous said...

I wish giving birth were as easy as a shot from a t-shirt gun. Good luck; you look so cute all big with baby. ;)

I popped in from SITS. You were ahead of me on roll call so I thought I'd stop in and say hi this morning!

Green said...

What a great pic! I wish I had done that. We just didn't do that kind of thing in the dark ages tho :)
Visiting from SITS

..al said...

That photograph is gorgeous! Something to keep for years!

Ms. J said...

What a stunning photo!!!

And yes, unfortunately ya gotta get going on the daycare thing - we don't use daycare, but as I understand it many places have waiting lists and it takes a while to find one you are comfy with.

My pediatrician advice . . . find a girlfriend (with kids) who has a personality like yours, and ask if she is happy with her kids' pediatrician (I expect prompt replies to my calls by the staff, for example), and why.

Mazzy said...

Great photo, love it! I may steal your idea to have DIY maternity shots. We got a fabulous new SLR camera for Christmas and I am far too cheap to pay for professional photos right now. Glad the holidays went well!
2 months here, too. Absolutely cannot believe it, but so ready.
*hugs*

That Infertile Chick said...

Just wanted to pop in and say congrats and love the photo! I've been following your blog for a while and am so pleased that things are going well for you and the little cuppin cake! Thanks for giving a light at the end of the tunnel for the rest of us broken gals ;)
I'm pretty sure the baby only gets shot out of the t-shirt rocket if you have the proper safety netting to protect the crowd...better look into that soon.

Stacy Woodruff said...

I love the photo. I wish I could look that good when I get to be as pregnant as you. Unfortunately, I don't even look that good at 8 weeks pregnant. Instead, I feel like a bloated, pukey, exhausted cow. But you look good even with only 2 months to go. Not fair. Oh well, it's worth it, I guess.

Anonymous said...

OMG, I soooo feel the same way. 2 months to go and I feel like I have done nothing significant to prepare for her arrival except finally unpacking the stroller and car seat this Christmas! At least you have a nursery. We are still trying to find another place to live thus putting off the instinctual nesting desire to set up a "nest" for our wee one.

Love the pic! Good luck with the on going diabeetus testing and diet. Not long now. :)