Wednesday, April 15, 2009

My Life: Tis Different.

I mean, duh. Right? Today was Olivia's two month check up. And for some reason, I was compelled to look back and see what I was doing this time last year.

This time last year, I was miserable. MIZZZZZRABLE. My first IVF failed. I had to continue with my normal routine and act human when all I wanted to do was pull the covers over my head and sleep until Christmas.

(I would've lifted the covers to fart, though. I have a strict No Farting Under the Covers policy. A policy which Mark defies. This is why we use separate blankets. I refuse the possibility of a Dutch Oven. Separate blankets is how we avoid divorce.)

(I also have a strict No Farting in the Car policy. For similar reasons. I basically just don't want to be trapped in any place that holds the smell of ass.)

Thinking about it now, I don't even know how I did it. IVF seems like a blur. It's almost better that I was working full time and going to graduate school at night, because I don't know how mentally stable I would've been if I had more time to think.

If I'm being honest, I almost never think about it anymore. Olivia is here. She is here, and how it happened really doesn't pop into my mind anymore (except when people say things about the fricking Octomom, which, dammit I wish she would just fade into obscurity already). And that is freeing, people. It is amazing to no longer be consumed with infertility.

It won't last forever. I'm sure at some point, we will want to try again. And I don't know if it will feel the same as it did before but I'm sure that the second round will consist of much suckage.

But right now, I am consumed with my squishy little baybee who suffered through 2 shots today and who has been sleeping it off for the past 4 hours.

At two months, Olivia weighs 8 lbs 14 oz (10th percentile). Mark thinks we should put her on a diet because she is really tanking up.* She is 21.26 inches long (10th percentile), and has a noggin circumference of 15.06 inches (50th percentile).

The shots were sad, but not as bad as I expected. Nothing of note really happened, except I may have made an inappropriate comment about how I would leave my husband for Dr. Karp** (author of The Happiest Baby on the Block) if given the opportunity. A joke which, surprise surprise, I don't think the pediatrician got.

Or if she did, she didn't think it was funny.

*Kidding. Kidding. Kidding. He was kidding.
**I'm going to post about this soon. Because Oh My God That Shit Works. ***
***Also, I'm going to post my birth story soon, just for the anonymous person who asked so very nicely.

13 comments:

battynurse said...

Glad this year is soooo much better than last year. And speaking of octomom. Did you hear she is trying to trademark the name octomom? She wants a TV show, clothing line and some other bullshit. Made steam come out my ears and the cursing at the radio this morning was loud.

Candice said...

Isn't it amazing how much can change in a year? It keeps getting better. I have said that every month so far. My son is 14 months and is at the perfect stage- still a baby, yet so much personality. Love it!! Glad you are loving it too!

Anonymous said...

Isn't it amazing how years of dealing w/ IF suddenly fades from your mind after they give you that little squirmy bundle of baby? I've looked back to amazed that I was able to keep up w/ my day to day life and convince (most) people that I was okay those 3 years when I was most def NOT okay.

Erin said...

Glad to hear that Dr. Karp's ways work. My baby isn't an outside baby yet, but when he is, I'll be trying that.
Looking forward to that post.

Erin said...

Can't wait to hear your whole birthing story! I bet you have some hiliarious comments about all of that jazz and stuff. Lots to talk about there so make it extra long! And I enforce the same Farting Policies in my house!

Lauren said...

Catching up on your last couple posts. You're quite possibly the cutest mom ever. I'm glad you have a happier little girl now. :)

Anonymous said...

I have to say, I love your blog. And after a year and a half of infertility, we also were lucky enough to conceive (thank you, IF drugs) and my son was born about 2 weeks after your little one. I love reading about your adventures - we went through a lot of similar problems with feeding and such, although now my child has started putting on weight like crazy. Definitely post about The Happiest Baby on the Block, please! My friend recommended it for me to read, and I didn't know how well it all works.
Thank you so much for your blog. I so appreciate your honesty about infertility, pregnancy, and now parenting. You rock.
-Alyssa

Just Another Mother said...

It was interesting to hear you don't think of IF anymore. That's actually very reassuring. I am halfway through my pregnancy and it still hard to shake. Maybe once my girl is here I will get a little more peace (but I guess there is no peace with a newborn).

I can't wait for the birth story!

Olivia is so cute.

Anonymous said...

Ahhh... separate blankets! Such a simple solution- no wonder I never thought of it! This is going to put a damper on my hubby's nightly comedy routine.

SFN said...

Karp's awesome. I couldn't get through the book, but the DVD's so short and no-nonsense and helpful and the techniques just plain work. It took a few tries to get them dialed in - at first they just sort of worked, but once you get the details of the technique down it's like you just hit a switch to reboot the baby. Amazing.

Emily said...

Oh how life changes! Your story has been one that has given me so much hope along the way & continues to. You are not the 1st Mama to say that the pain of IF fades with motherhood - what a relief to hear!
Thanks for the words of congrats!!

Kristin said...

Dear Jen,

I too was thinking about my life a few short weeks ago. I remember each month drinking a whole bottle of wine w/DH b/c I wasn't pregnant yet. Believe me two years you can go thru a lot of wine...and tissues too! Perspective is a wonderful thing. Every step makes you be the wonderful Momma that you are today.
As for Miss O's weight, man I miss those "small days", Elyas was born at 8lbs 6 oz and 23 inches long. Thank god I was induced 1 week early, yes the beatis got me too. But everyone was thrilled w/his weight/size.
Oh Dr. Karp, I want to have his love child even though I hate being pregnant, for him ANYTHING!!! Always go for the DVD's unless they have a "Cliff Notes" version!!!! My epidural drs are in my will too...

jenn said...

ohhh how i hope i get to post something like this next year. just had another IUI...i hope it works and i don't have to move onto ivf. crossing everything.

olivia is beautiful. i'm so happy for you!