Saturday, September 25, 2010

The Best Thing That's Ever Been Mine

Olivia is 19 months old. She is so adorable and fun that I pretty much can't even deal with it.

There's basically no walking.  She runs everywhere.  She loves to be chased and tackled and tickled.  She laughs until she snorts and wheezes.  She has a mean dunk.



My daughter is basically indestructible.  She falls, runs into things, bumps her head...and then says whoa and carries on with her mischief.  She's tough.
I just stabbed myself in the eye with this toothbrush.
Oh well...LOOK!  A BALL!
Don't get me wrong.  There are tears.   Like when you tell her not to stick her face in the dog bowl, for example.  Or when you tell her that she, in fact, cannot pull Mickey Mouse out of the TV screen.


But usually?  It's just smiles.
Latest Sayings:
What's That?
Where she go?
BALL! BALL! ZOMG A BALL!
Stuck, Go
Apple
Box
Whoa Whoa Whoa, WEEEEEEE!

A BALL!  BALL! BALL!  BALL!  BALL!  Etc.
Loves:
Pizza, Hot Dogs
Apples, Grapes, Bananas
Pasta
Her Mommy, Her Daddy
Violet
Milo and Baxter
Slides, Bubbles
Elmo, Mickey Mouse

Sometimes I make her laugh so hard, she looks all Crazy Pants.

Her hair is still working on growing. Except the party in the back, which grows like a mullet-lover's wet dream.  It's all curls at the bottom, and if you don't give her a comb over after her bath, it dries all catawampus.
Business in the front, curly party in the back.
She's a total attention whore.  She loves to show off for people in stores and restaurants, and gives a big cheesy grin.  She's shy, too.  Pay attention to her, but don't get too close! Mostly she likes to do her own thing and figure things out for herself. And when she's done, she likes to sit by us and drink her water while we read her a book.

Pretty much done with having her picture taken.
She points to letters on shirts and pretends to be reading them - O, O, E, E, E, E, A, R, O, O, O - pointing to every letter.  When I was sick a couple weeks ago and barfed cherries?  I was crying with my face in the toilet and pretty much feeling pathetic and sorry for myself.  Olivia came upstairs to the bathroom, lifted up my hair, and did a crazy dance.  And then I laughed.
She can almost climb the rock wall up to the slide by herself.
When I think about the time I won't get to spend with her when these new babies come, my heart gets all hurty.  I can't imagine loving another baby as much as I love this one.

19 comments:

HereWeGoAJen said...

Awww. How sweet!

And your description of pay attention to her but don't get to close is exactly Elizabeth's point of view about the world.

Gwen Papp said...

I know it's hard to imagine it, but you will love them that much. Imagine how full of love you'll be then. And if you think you love her now, wait until you see her as a big sister, loving "her" babies.

andrea said...

she is pretty awesome. this is a pretty awesome age.

and i am scared of hte same thing and i'm not even pregnant.
But you know, you will love them all more than you have ever loved anyone.

Mrs. Higrens said...

Such a cutie! Where did those teeth come from? She can't be old enough to have teeth like that? Right?

*~*Lis*~* said...

she looks so awesome!

Trust me - you'll love the new little guys just as much. You won't believe it's true until they are here, but it's true.

And suck up the time with JUST HER now, my older one was 17 months when the twins were born, unfortunatley you are right to think you're going to miss things. I still feel like I miss out on some of the stuff people with "just one" get - but it's all good and being a big sister rocks!

JenM said...

Awesome post for your awesome daughter. I love that song, and I think of my kids every time I hear it. Coming from someone who already has two, you can love them all and know them all as well as you do Olivia. You just need to multitask.

k said...

Hi Jen,

Thanks for that post. Not only is your daughter awesome, you also made me feel a tad bit better:

We've been pregnant twice with very similar due dates (my daughter was born two weeks before yours, and for the second pregnancy -- mine a singleton -- you've been two weeks ahead of me.)

I was feeling a similar "hurty heart" when thinking about how much time I wouldn't get to spend with my daughter. So much that I wondered if I really wanted my #2... I lost my #2 last week, and I was feeling like a super crappy mother for not feeling the love... So thanks for making me feel a tad bit more normal.

Hang in there -- you're a great mom; and you're about to give Olivia a great gift...

L said...

You will. Love these new babies just as much, that is. I took time having nr2 cause I was so in love with nr1, but awesomely the second one is great too :)

Allison said...

I think you just described my child. Srsly. The tough-as-nails part? Check. The extremely friendly until you get too close? Yeah, my kid screams hi at random people until they say hi back but then won't say hi to someone she knows. And the hair? OMG, the hair. She is still quite bald on top, but has the mullet like crazy.

Rebecca said...

You'll eventually like the new babies, and then you'll love them and then.......you'll not be able to imagine that that you ever thought you couldn't love them as much as the first.

Anonymous said...

I felt the same way when I was prego with my twins...would by 3 year old son get ANY attention. How could I love the new babies as much? Then, like magic, your heart just opens up and there's the love :-)

Rebecca said...

It's very hard to imagine that your heart can open up and love two more children as much as you love your first and then you give birth and bam! you love them just as much. It's amazing! And yet, I think our first children always have a special little place in our heart. It's not that we love them more, it's just different. I always worried I wouldn't love my twins as much as my first, I think it is natural. But no worries, our hearts have an amazing ability of loving all our children.

Vanessa said...

How adorable :) It's funny because my 2 year old said a lot of the same words (weird ones like "stuck") so that must be an easy concept to grasp. Everything she can't move or get to so what she wants is "stuck." And oh my goodness with the BALLS. ha!

Emily said...

I don't think I'll have another baby. But if I do? I get that. How is it possible to love someone more than this? Cute pics though. A's charactaristics are almost the same... she's just a bit younger, 14 months.

Bond Girl said...

I love this post! I can't wait to meet my son is just 8 weeks and fall completely in love with him. Thanks for your lovely words!!!

Shandal said...

How cute! This post could be written for my 18 month old girl. So weird how many things they have in common! :)

Anonymous said...

Aw so sweet!!! I hear lots of parents say they don't think they can love another child as much as they love their first...and then they do. It's possible, your heart grows! :)

Michelle said...

Love this post! Oh, and I am pretty sure she loves her sitter too! :) Believe me, your heart grows and you love them all with an intensity that cannot be described...I don't know how, but it happens!

Anonymous said...

Re your last comment, "A parents heart is whole no matter how many times it's divided."