Sunday, February 5, 2012

January Recipe #2 - Mayo & Parmesan Crusted Chicken

If you ask Mark, he would call this recipe #2 like poo.

I, however, loved it.  There haven't been very many things we've tried that we've been split on.  We both usually love it or don't, unless it's something that we knew Mark wouldn't like because he has the palate of a 7 year old.

Me: The chicken I made for dinner tonight is bahhhhhhhmmmm!

Him: what's in it?

Me: I don't wanna tell you.

Him: (takes two bites and gives me the thumbs down on his way to scrape the rest into the garbage.)

I reheated it the next day for lunch and loved it as much the second time. My theories are that Mark is stupid, or that Mark doesn't like mayo and that's why he hated it.

Most likely? It's a combination of both.

So anyway, I'm going to post the recipe even though nobody cares what I'm cooking because quite honestly I am an idiot in and out of the kitchen. Someone left a comment on my first recipe that said, "what is going on?!"

Haha! What is going on, indeed. I imagine my blogging hubris has taken a turn toward out of control?  And I just think that I can take a dump all over my blog and you will love it anyway?*

Whatever. Here is the recipe. I'm on track with my two recipe a month goal because I made this on 1/31 proving that I thoroughly rule at life. (Life hubris?)

Mayo & Parmesan Crusted Chicken
source
serves 4

As always, my food looks disgusting compared to the source.
Whatever, it was good.
Click "source" above to see a delicious looking pic.


Heat oven to 425 degrees.

Ingredients:
1/2 Cup Real Mayonnaise**
1/4 Cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
4 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
4 tsp. Italian Seasoned Dry Bread crumbs  (I used Panko crumbs and oregano, because I had them.  And I used a lot more than 4 tsp!!)

Direction:
Mix mayo and parmesan cheese in a small bowl.

Place thawed chicken breasts on a baking sheet.  Spread mayo/cheese mix evenly on top of each breast.

Spread bread crumbs on top of each breast.

Bake for 20 minutes, or until tops are brown and juices run clear.

I served with green beans because that's what it was pictured with and I am unoriginal, and I made mashed potatoes, too. 

*You know, part of the reason that I rarely blog is that I worry that people won't enjoy what I post.  I mean, it only takes a couple of people telling you how funny your blog used to be and how they still stick with you anyway to instill that kind of paranoia.  BUT, I am going to try to let go of that and post whatever I want and you can read it and enjoy it or read it and not enjoy it, right?

**can we talk about mayo for a minute? I grew up eating miracle whip** and thinking it was just another brand of mayo and meh. It was fine. I rarely ate it. And then as a grown up, I learned the true joys of real mayonnaise. I can't decide if my childhood was ruined because I never learned the true joys of real mayonnaise until my mid-20's (damn you mom!) or if my childhood was better off because I never learned the true joys of real mayonnaise (damn you childhood obesity!). 

***harf!

--

Don't forget to enter the Sock Monkey Hats & More Giveaway!  Comments will close tonight at 7 p.m. Eastern Time.  Only around 160 entries so far so chances at winning are good!

--

One Year Ago: This NICU Business is Exhausting
Two Years Ago: Complex, but Fine.
Three Years Ago:  35 Weeks, How Should My Tombstone Read?
Four Years Ago: Dreading the Conversation

24 comments:

Courtney said...

I grew up on Miracle Whip as well, and never liked it, so thought all that time that I didn't like mayonnaise. Why did our mothers do that to us? Miracle Whip is disgusting.

This looks like a fun, EASY recipe. I shall try it. THANKS!

HereWeGoAJen said...

Miracle Whip ought to be outlawed. It's awful stuff.

I tried the last recipe you posted and thought it was good. This one sounds good to me, but Matt might divorce me if I served him something with mayonnaise. Perhaps Matt and Mark can go out to dinner together and you and I can eat mayo chicken?

Candice said...

I loved that cheddar chicken you posted a couple weeks ago. I have made it several times. Screw the naysayers! :)

I'm inmpressed you can cook while pregnant, especially handling raw chicken. I can barely do that while not pregnant!!

Katie said...

I grew up on the whip and have always hated the real deal :P

I love this blog, it is my favorite on my whole giant roll. Keep it up and post whatever you want. You rock.

Amanda said...

I usually just lurk but wanted to post to say one: you can post anything you damn well please & people can just DEAL. Lol. Also, two: miracle whip is disgusting. And three: this recipe looks awesome! Thank you so much for linking it :)

Trevor Allen said...

I am a mayo fan all the way...not Miracle Whip. Miracle Whip is a white, jiggly imposter that tastes gross.

Laura said...

If you're a fish person, I have made a similar recipe using Tilapia. Pan Fry with salt & pepper for a couple minutes on each side. Then spread with mayo and sprinkle on parmesan and put it under the broiler. It is a recipe from Kalyns Kitchen and I LOVE IT!
As a note on Miracle Whip, I thought it was just for bologna sandwiches because that is what we would have it with at my Aunt's house. Thinking back on it, not only gross for eating bologna but also gross for eating Miracle Whip.

Sunny said...

Sounds delicious, and so easy that even a complete idiot could make it. So I have a fighting chance!

Natalie Watt said...

I am a May-Hater, but I LOVE your blog. I get so excited when I check into my reader and see a new post! I also love that you are adding recipes.

Laura said...

Whatever you have ever written about I think is funny. You are a real person, with real issues so tell that person to F-off if you posted maybe one time something that wasn't funny to them. I have snort laughed over your blog many a times and I continue to do so, so please, don't stop posting, I like that you are posting more often! I read your text messages back and forth with your husband that you posted about him asking if you were pregnant, yeah I read it like 10 times laughing and read it to my husband...the bun shoved up the vag thing just make me laugh so hard!

areyoukiddingme said...

You have entered the great mayo/Miracle Whip debate! Anything that comes all whipped up in a jar and calls itself salad dressing is suspect to me. I cannot tolerate the Miracle Whip. Real mayo is the way to go! And none of that low fat stuff either - although the olive oil version isn't terrible.

The NKF said...

And even real mayo pales in comparison to the world's very best mayo, but I'm sad to tell you that you probably can't get it in Ohio. It's called Duke's and when I lived in PA I had my mom send it to me on a regular basis. It's sort of a Southern thing and it is delicious. Nothing special--just made like real real mayo (eggs, vinegar, sugar, and ... that's about it). Because I have enjoyed your blog a lot over the past 2 going on 3 years, I will send you a jar of this stuff if you like to say thanks. I realize how odd that is--you: um, thanks for the "special" mayo Internet stalker friend--but it's -that- delicious.

Erica said...

My Mom and Dad not only fed me Miracle Whip, but Margarine! UGH! I thought I disliked both of mayo and butter until I moved out. I started eating the real stuff and never looked back. (Oh, I agree about Dukes, but can't get it now. I eat the Spectrum Mayo made with olive oil. Also yum.)

SkyBluePink said...

I just wanted to let you know that your blog is my absolute favorite of all the blogs that I read, and I read a LOT of blogs. Thanks for updating, even with so much going on in your life, I really appreciates it.

Losh said...

You are not a performing seal - you have to write what / when you want to, so naff off to those who think otherwise!

As for miracle whip - I live in England, so have no experience with it, but it sounds very wrong! Mayo should never be faked! We have something called Dream Topping which masquerades as whipped cream - also pretty wrong.

ks said...

For what it's worth...I made your last recipe, and is now one of our go to chicken meals! So there to anyone who doesn't like the recipe blogs!! Lol! I'm going to have to try this one too as one of our favorites is Hellmania Chicken! Mayo and HOT hot BBQ sauce all over chicken then cooked till its done! Yummy!
Hope you're still feeling good!
All my best!

Nerwal said...

I love your blog, no matter what. I hope my saying so will make up for a least one of the douchey comments.

Also grew up on MW and now think it's disgusting. REAL mayo all the way. Also grew up on margarine and now prefer REAL butter. WTH is up with my mom feeding me fake crap?

erin said...

We've made this, too and we loved it, even my miracle whip loving SO and my picky 6 year old daughter, so I think Mark just doesn't have good taste in food. I however, have to tell you that you MUST go on Pinterest and make the Mexican Stuffed SHells. Just a hint though- make the meat mix ahead of time or it is not an easy, weeknight dinner to do quickly.

Veronica Culver said...

Personally, I love your blog :-)

Best,
Veronica

momto8 said...

Miracle whip got outlawed in our house..
I love this easy recipe..thanks!
I am your newest follower..pls follow back if you can.

elizabeth said...

I would just like to note that your serving size of potatoes is admirable. I can't eat potatoes. Mostly because I'd eat all ten pounds of them in one sitting in turn into the inner fat girl screaming to get out.

Joelle said...

i'd rather read about you taking a dump on your blog, than you not blogging at all. You are the only blogger that makes me laugh out loud, funny shit! there was a post a long time ago about mark locking you in a closet with a poop bucket (it was a joke...i think), and really, i still think about that post and laugh. granted, I'm easily amused, but that post had me on the floor almost crying.
so please, keep blogging, about whatever! :)

Me said...

Longtime lurker-I added Italian seasoning and fresh, chopped garlic to the cheese and mayo.mix and it was good. My husband ate it and he only eats Miracle Whipml.

Kelly said...

Made the awesome mayo chicken last night for dinner, hubby thought it was da bomb! Thanks for expanding our pallete!!

Also, your blog is my absolute fave. Keep up the great work. You bring joy to many loyal readers. Ignore the nasty commenters. They are just jealous.