Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Three Parties for the Three Year Old

Yeah, we had three "parties" for Olivia this year, at our house, because I thought it would be easier than having one big party somewhere else.

Sometimes I experience these ridiculous delusions of grandeur that lead me to believe that I am some kind of magical crafty supermom capable of throwing a birthday party that will cause some other mom browsing Pinterest to have an instant orgasm (Pingasm?) at the thought of stealing my food and decor ideas for her own.

Except that I stole my ideas from someone else and plus I suck at crafts and everything else and preparing food stresses me out and also? Is expensive and ALSO?!  I have to clean it up myself. 

Am idiot.

First, we had a cake on her actual birthday.  Presents from one of her grandmas and all the ice cream cake she could shove in her carb hole.  Which is, like, pretty much an entire cake.




Then, the following weekend, we had a family party on Saturday and a friends party on Sunday.  I thought this would be easy because I would only have to decorate once and then I could just get all of the food ready on Friday and then put it out on the correct day.

Ha.

Ha ha.

Bwahahahahahaha.

Pretty much what happened is that I was running around like an idiot trying to prepare a ton of food that could only fit into my fridge if positioned exactly so, like some kind of refrigerator jigsaw puzzle.  I made cupcakes!  And a chili bar!  And baked potatoes!  Hot dogs!  Nachos!  It was quite delicious, actually.  But not any easier or cheaper than having a party somewhere where they get everything ready and you just show up.

Pinterest threw up all over my house.

 Then, on Sunday, we had a friend party.  That one was pretty easy since everything was decorated and I ordered the cake and cupcakes and some of the food.  

Cake and Cupcakes by Becky Klein,
Sweets and Stems
No real plan except to let a bunch of kids run around and do whatever while I got some much-needed grown up conversation and drank almost an entire bowl of punch by myself.


Presents and cake and tattoos, oh my!
I didn't take a picture of the punch, as previously discussed I was too busy trying to drink the entire bowl before anyone else could have some.  But I made a double batch for this party and for a baby shower and the bowl was completely empty both times.  SO GOOD!

Orange Dream Punch (from AllRecipes.com)

Ingredients


1/2 gallon orange sherbet
1 (6 ounce) can frozen orange juice concentrate
1 (2 liter) bottle ginger ale

Directions

Place sherbet and frozen orange juice concentrate in a punch bowl. Allow to thaw for 10 to 15 minutes. Stir in ginger ale.

I doubled this recipe, but used 1/2 gallon of orange sherbet and 1/2 gallon of vanilla ice cream because a bunch of comments recommended it.  YUM YUM YUM.  Just make sure that, if you're doing the original recipe, that you only used half of the can of orange juice - those cans are 12 ounces.
 
 
So, anyway, next year I'll be paying someone to show up, party, and leave.  I blame Pinterest for making me feel like I have to throw some kind of magical home made party or I don't love my kid. 

5 comments:

Diapered Daze and Knights said...

Great parties, and I know the feeling...we should officially call it the Pinterest dilemma. I blogged at one time about those Bento Boxes that Pinterest makes me feel I need to make for my kids to be a good mom. I vowed to never give in.

Unknown said...

My Pingasm happened at hot dogs ;)

HereWeGoAJen said...

Those sound like great parties. And it all looks very fancy and very Pinterest worthy.

areyoukiddingme said...

Three you can do at home. 4 and up requires that it be elsewhere. That's just the way it is.

It looks like they were delightful parties, all of them. Happy Birthday Olivia!

Anne said...

I had the brilliant idea of doing a destination wedding and a West Coast reception for my side and East Coast reception for my husbands side. No we're not rich, we were just naive and stupid and didn't realize how hard and DRAMA it would be. Looks like Olivia's parties were super fun an didn't involve fighting with overzealous aunts. Happy Birthday to your big girl. :)