Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Help Kris Beat IBC

Cancer is an asshole.

One of Mark's coworkers is going through something completely and totally horrible.  While breastfeeding her five month old son, she found a lump.

You know where I'm going with this, right?  Maybe it's a clogged duct!  Oh, wait, no.  It is breast cancer. 

Her name is Kris.  Her husband's name is Mark.  They have two small children.  You can read about them by clicking here.

Do you know what else you can do?  You can donate.  You can give a little bit or a lot to their family.  Her particular form of breast cancer (Inflammatory Breast Cancer) is aggressive, and they have been told that The Place To Be For The Best Treatment is in Houston, TX. 

Except...they live in Ohio.  And they have insurance but...the bills are still piling up.

You don't know Kris.  I actually don't either.  And I've never had cancer.  But I have had a very critically ill child who needed constant care and I was lucky enough to not have to worry about money.  I can't imagine worrying about the money.  The fight should be for her life, and not with an insurance company or a billing department or a collection agency.

And I know.  There are a million of these stories and people are sick all over the world and times are tough, etc. infinity.  But, should you feel so inclined to donate even a small amount?  It would really help. 

And then?  If you posted this link on Facebook?  Or Twitter?  Or, if you have MySpace, you could delete it and join Facebook like everyone else and then post it on Facebook?  It would only take a second.  And then maybe a lot of people would hear their story and help a little and all those little donations could turn into something big for this family?

Cancer is an asshole.

14 comments:

HereWeGoAJen said...

Cancer really is an asshole.

Anonymous said...

Cancer is a total asshole. My son was just diagnosed with cancer at 4am in the ER 2 days before his first birthday and we spent his birthday and two weeks following in the hospital for tests... and today he's started his first round of chemo.

He is one. So not fair.

So fuck you cancer.

But I am super glad that we have free healthcare and I can only imagine the extra stress of having to worry about paying for treatment. That is so unfair.

Caroline said...

It is an asshole. My sister in law found a lump which she thought was maybe a blocked milk duct from nursing her then 4 mo old. Turned out to be Hodgkins Lymphoma. Thankfully, 8 chemos later she is cancer free. And can enjoy her two small children again. Did I miss where to donate .... You're right every small bit helps. Good of you to want to help a stranger - we need more you's in the world :)

Kelly said...

Great post! I'm going to send the link to this to Momastery- they are AWESOME at finding a way to help!!!!

Phase Three of Life said...

Thank you for sharing this. I donated and will be praying for her and her family.

Anonymous said...

2 firsts for me: donated to a stranger and left a blog comment. Because of you.

Anonymous said...

Crazy you posted this today. I rec'd a phone call from my sister about an hour ago, her biopsy came back.......she has a rare form of cancer. Lost my uncle in November, Grandma in April and Grandpa in June..........all to cancer. Cancer is a big ol' pile of shit. Sucks, big time. Good luck to Kris and family!!

Raych said...

Cancer sucks dick but the US insurance/medical industry sucks major dick. It's disgusting, that in our country, people can go bankrupt because of a medical condition that they have no control over. Prayers to Kris and her family.

DianeTaylor said...

Cancer sucks - but donating doesn't suck at all. I lost my son earlier this year when his apartment caught fire. I donated in his name - he woukld want me to do that.

God Bless :)

~Diane Taylor~

Ado said...

Well-said, so well-said. Cancer is an asshole.

Shawn and Aimee said...

That wasn't hard at all and I'll never miss the money. I hope it helps.

Jaime Robinson said...

To All: I'm touched by your generosity, your stories and your prayers. I know Kris and she's an exceptionally kind woman. I used to work pretty closely with her until I transferred out of state. I cried, in public no less, when I learned of her cancer. Please know that your prayers and donations are going to a wonderful woman. Thanks Jen for posting this. Hope to see you guys at the fundraiser!

Anonymous said...

Jen - I have been reading your blog forever. I'm so sorry to hear about your friend kris. A good friend of mine was diagnosed with ibc. She was 34 at the time And had two small kids. I just wanted to share some positive News - she has been in remission for two years Nd continues to do well and feel great. She went To Philadelphia for treatment with dr cristofani? I believe he ran the ibc program at he hospita you spoke of in Texas and recently moved to philadelphia. It is worth pAssing onto your friend. He is at fox chase

Anonymous said...

His name is Massimo Cristofanilli and he is at Fox Chase in Philadelphia.n if your friend would like to speak to my friend for advice I can put her in touch with her - she is a great resource. You can reach out to me at noodlebugandbeanie@gmail.com if you would like