Saturday, December 15, 2012

I am lucky.

Today, I took Olivia to see her first theater movie.  We saw Wreck It Ralph. 


She was SO excited.

Every night I have been picking the Elf on the Shelf/Christmas activity based on what was easiest for me.  Putting off the messy or laborious projects.  Sure, these memories are important but I've got another week to do this stuff so...meh.

I hate to personalize someone else's tragedy.  Make it about me.  But...man.  You just seriously never know what crazy shit is going to happen, do you?  It sounds so dramatic to say that any you could be making your last memory with your child but it is the truth, isn't it?

And the dumbest thing kept running through my mind: What if something horrible happened and I never took Olivia to see her first movie because I was too busy reading a stupid book or looking at Facebook or doing some pointless Pinterest project?

So today we went to see a movie.  We spent a ridiculous amount of money on popcorn and Reese's Pieces and fruit punch.  When Olivia wanted to talk during the movie, I listened.  When she wanted to get up and jump over the light strip in the aisle, I let her.  When she spun around in circles and danced to the music in the movie, I watched. 

I am not a patient person. I am often rushing to get to bedtime so that I can have a break. I am guilty of not always appreciating the little adorable maniacs who live in my house and make me laugh all day.  But not today. 

Today I fully appreciate how lucky I am. 

13 comments:

Amy, queen of the world. said...

I 100% agree.

Amanda said...

I absolutely am with you on this one, Jen. Well said.

Briana said...

Yes, what you said.

Jyl said...

O burst into tears reading my daughter Berenstain Bears last night, just thinking of all those parents rgat will never get to read to those little souls that were taken. I lost count of how many times I hugged and kissed my three y.o. and my four month old.

Me said...

Last night when I tucked my daughter in I teared up, thinking of people who I know would give anything to do the same thing just once more. Then my daughter said, "Mommy, I love you in my heart," and I lost it and daddy had to take over bedtime so I fail.

Jo-Anne said...

Amen! Yesterday when I first saw the news coverage of what had happened, I burst into tears. My 4-year old daughter said "what's wrong, Mommy?" and all I could say to her was "I just love you and Addy so, so much!" I've had a hard time putting down both kids all day. I can't stop hugging them.

Brenda said...

So well said. I couldn't stop hugging the boys today. And it kills me that so many parents won't be able to do that.

Marisa said...

Yep, same here. I have been soaking my kids up like crazy since yesterday. I have been taking too many things for granted, missing too many great moments. But not today, and hopefully not tomorrow. Right now I am determined to never waste another day.

Meg Brink said...

Amen to this. Another reminder that life is too short and beyond precious. Such a devastating event.

Allison said...

Well said.

~*Amanda~* said...

Beautifully said (without being sappy)...I feel the *exact* same way....

Anonymous said...

Well put. A tragedy like this shouldn't remind us to cherish our kids more. But a little more love is always good.

Kim said...

Well said, please hug all your kids..It is sad sight..I am a CT resident..It is all the news media is talking about, showing the funerals...I have 2 children in elementary school...these days I feel I cannot do enough to tell them how much I love them..Those poor parents..Just say an extra prayer for all the parents and siblings that are still grieving.