Friday, July 6, 2012

Smile Because It Happened

I am, of course, addicted to Pinterest.  It is strangely addicting to keep track of a bunch of things that I'd like to get around to doing/making/eating someday, when I get done doing all of the things that I need to do/make/eat.  Which is never, apparently, and even though all these fantastic!brilliant!smart! ideas are there taunting me and proving me to be a failure at life?  I still continue to pin things.

It is sick.

But a while ago, I saw a quote on Pinterest and I'm sure it was credited to someone but who knows if that stuff is accurate anyway? 

I share very important opinions about the Internet with Abraham Lincoln.
Great minds, and all.
The quote was, "Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened."  And if you read this blog regularly at all I think that you can understand why that quote in particular stuck out to me.  And if you read this blog regularly, you can also understand why this stuck out to me, too.

Exactly.
After Ainsley died, I was shocked at how quickly everything happened.  You are expected to suck it up and start making arrangements, like, immediately.  And since we decided to have memorial calling hours, there was almost no time at all to get photos and memories together to display.

The day before the calling hours, the quote popped into my head.  I felt like it would be the perfect thing to display at the memorial.  It was how we felt.  We were (are!) happy for the time we had with Ainsley because you know what?  We didn't get that time with Evelyn. 

I emailed a friend and asked her if there was anyway that she could make something pretty for us super last minute, giving no detail other than the quote and asking for pink and purple.  And within minutes I had this piece of awesomeness:


Designed by Alison at Ten Tiny Toes

I am to the point where I don't feel guilty for being happy about something, or laughing.  Or enjoying the free time that was nonexistent for so long.  I can be sad that Ainsley is gone but it is ok for me to enjoy things.  I look at her pictures and videos and smile.  She was the best baby ever. 

The story of how I almost became a stripper those two semesters of college
that I had to take stats.
Plus, I'm not a stripper.  So that's good.  (I think.  I mean, they do make a lot of money, don't they??)

31 comments:

Wiley said...

Amen.

Courtney said...

What a great application of that quote.

ADP said...

Love your blog, and so happy to hear you are at that point! Your girls, all 4, and Mark deserve your laughter and smiles!

Stephanie said...

That's such a great quote. :)

areyoukiddingme said...

Absolutely - it's hard to maintain that attitude, but she was a wonderful girl who gave you a lot of good memories in her short time to counteract the grief.

JP said...

You are amazing. I love how you basically personify that saying. The graphic is beautiful.

User Not Found said...

I second JP. You are amazing. And yes, you deserve to enjoy and laugh and smile.

Allegro ma non troppo said...

That's the best collection of quotes! I love your blog.

Noelle Spooner said...

Love those quotes. And I agree, you are amazing.

Unknown said...

oh wow, i have been out of touch on my favorite blogs and you popped into mind today and i wanted to check in on you and your family. i missed so much. in the past 20 minutes, i have been sobbing crying and laughing just (well, almost) as hard. xoxo

Anonymous said...

I absolutely adore you.

HereWeGoAJen said...

Yes. This exactly.

Wendy said...

Lots of love to you. You have the right to be happy.

Greta said...

What better perspective could you have?

V said...

You are amazing! An inspiration.... Those quotes are made for you :)

Anonymous said...

That's an amazing quote and probably the best use I've ever seen for it.

Stefanie Blakely said...

Dear God, thinking of your crocs post has me laughing I'm so hard, I'm crying-- and that's just from remembering it. I need to go back and re-read it.

So glad that you're doing well-- you deserve to enjoy this time & your memories.

Amanda said...

Beautiful.

Anonymous said...

LOVE this!

Rachael said...

I am so glad you are letting yourself feel that freedom and happiness. That's what you deserve, and I'm sure it's what your daughters would want you to be doing. You're awesome.

Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing your daughters with us. And strippers usually have horrible benefits so I feel like finishing college was a good choice.

Julia said...

What a beautiful quote for two beautiful little angels. It was a privilege to share their too short but precious little lives with you.

leahjane8 said...

You rock.

Lisa said...

I love that quote, and I'm fairly certain it's Dr. Seuss. That guy knew what was up.

Nic said...

A great quote. X

Brenda said...

You all deserve nothing but the best, although I know it hardly ever works that way. So, to amend this, I will systematically destroy all crocs. Because, really?? Not acceptable footwear. Not at all.

Heather said...

Glad I finished my coffee by the time I got to the end of the post. That picture would have made me spit it out. I do love the saying you used for the service. And yes, crocs are the worst things ever!

Rebecca said...

I kind of wish I had a good stripper body because math is hard. I saw a quote on pinterest about word problems being hard and how the question was something like

If you have seven oranges and triangle straws then how many hours would it take you to roof a house. The answer was purple (I'm wrong but the point is the same)

Sarah said...

Dr. Seuess said it :) And it's perfect!

Unknown said...

what a lovely graphic - so perfect. so perfect.

Bobbi said...

AMEN :)